A recent Large Scale Production Engineering (LSPE) meeting included a number of talks looking different aspects of software defined networking (SDN):
"Introduction to SDN/Openflow"
Xin Huang - Sr. Research Scientist/Technologist, Cyan, Inc.
"SDN/OpenFlow: Challenges and Opportunities"
Sriram Natarajan - Sr. Researcher, NTT Innovation Institute, Inc.
Lightning talk: "#include <abstractions.h>"
Nils Swart - Director, Plexxi
"Performance Aware SDN"
Peter Phaal - sFlow standard co-author, sFlow.org
The video from the event contains Q&A from the first talk and the remaining three talks.
The Performance Aware SDN talk starts at time marker 49:20 and describes the role of sFlow instrumentation in building performance optimizing SDN controllers that combine networking, server and application visibility and bring networking under the control of the DevOps team.
- 0:49:20 Introduction / Why should DevOps team care about SDN?
- 0:52.40 Controllability, Observability and Delay
- 0:56:00 Role of sFlow in making data center observable
- 1:02:00 SDN performance optimizing controllers using OpenFlow and sFlow
- 1:04:35 DDoS example
- 1:07:33 ECMP/LAG multi-path traffic distribution
- 1:10:45 Memcached hot keys
- 1:12:52 Next steps
- 1:13:50 Q&A